Thursday, July 01, 2010

The Young And The Restless Vs. The Immature And The Mindless

Wimbledumb tennis continues on NBC. It preempts the Days Of Our Lives broadcasts today and tomorrow, and so once again, there was no DOOL feed this morning. I really just can't get into tennis, but I did run across one idea I think would make the game much more interesting...

With no feed, however, I find myself with time to ponder things. Before I tell you what's on my mind though, you need to know two things:

1) I don't watch any soap operas other than DOOL.

2) I'm upgrading the equipment I use for Prevuze.

"What," you may ask, "does all that have to do with the price of a cheesy product placement ad?"

I'm glad you asked. Let me elaborate. I finally decided it's time to upgrade the equipment I use to work on Prevuze to something more appropriate for the 20th century, even though we are well into the 21st. I mean, the Edison Pictograph I've been using to create the videos has served me well, but it's time to (say it with me) move on.

I made the big upgrade only to find the video systems available for the new and improved equipment don't have some of the features I like in the old video equipment. So I'm experimenting with different systems and ways of recording the show.

I get the DOOL feed off of a Canadian satellite, and at the frequency I'm using, that satellite only feeds one other show – The Young And The Restless. In an effort to have a lot of video to chop up and play with on the systems I'm testing, I have now recorded two episodes of Y&R. Having those, I can go back and tinker with the Y&R episodes to see if I can do with those videos what I would like to do with the DOOL videos (other than burning them, that is).

As I tinker I naturally see parts of the show. So in the first Y&R feed, the only scenes I really looked at had a suave and debonair looking guy involved in a high-stakes poker game with some sophisticated looking woman. Nope. I don't know the characters names or the actors names and even though I had Google at my fingertips, I was too lazy to look them up. Here they are, however, for the record:

As I sat there fiddling with the video I kept comparing what was on screen to DOOL. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was so different, but then it hit me... The adults in the show were acting like... well... adults. I mean, the story actually had a woman who wasn't obsessing over which guy she would go with to the junior prom.

So I watched a few more scenes. It really seemed I was on to something, and after about 1/3 of one episode, I came to the completely scientific conclusion that Y&R must have more mature characters who act more like real people. In other words, when comparing it to DOOL, it was, "The Young And The Restless vs. The Immature And The Mindless."

Well, then, I saw part of yesterday's Y&R feed. That's where I encountered this couple:

The upshot I got of this relationship (in the 40 seconds I could stand to watch) was that she, for whatever reason, wants to move into his apartment and bring her irritating kid along with her. She insinuates it will be a "friends with benefits" kind of living arrangement when she tells him with a wink and a smile, "With me there, you'll never be lonely." But he turns her down wanting instead to watch baseball with the guys. This, of course has all the reality of a 1970's video game.

In addition to them, we got a dose of some guy with shorted out neurons who thinks "the satellites" are after him:

This dude is so wackadoodle he doesn't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt.

In other words, the second time I watched part of the show, I got a completely different take on it. It seemed more... DOOL-like.

So where does this leave me and my theory that Y&R is more mature and intelligent? Out on a limb, I guess. For a whole day or so I thought I had things all figured out. I thought DOOL stood alone as some oddball show who's mission was to make a cartoon of itself. I thought other soaps must surely be produced by more sane and level-headed people. I imagined those of us who watch DOOL are some minority of the viewing public that enjoys a weird video form of self-flagellation. In short, I had hope for humanity.

But now that's gone. Maybe some of you who watch Y&R can enlighten us or tell me what I saw on that second feed was out-of-context, and my first impression was right.

Somehow, though, I suspect my first impression was wrong and the whole genre is an experiment in Artificial Stupidity. It's enough to make you want to do something self destructive.

Like watch tennis.

NOTE – you can now follow Prevuze on twitter at: http://twitter.com/prevuzea

Prevuze II has a video of the daily show previews, which should be available by noon (EST) on any given day. To see Prevuze II: CLICK HERE


14 Comments:

Anonymous Leslie said...

I can't help you out on that one Prevuze, because the only soap I watch is DOOL. However, upon engaging in a little channel surfing, I will admit to catching a few minutes of GH, I think. Anyway, whatever soap it was includes a really hot guy - how unusual - with stunning blue eyes, but there is also a nerdy character played by an actor who is not soap god gorgeous. While I found that to be an intriguing concept, I wasn't curious enough to record another soap onto my DVR. If I'm looking to do something that self destructive, I'll watch a Cubs game. I have found that high def takes misery to a whole new level.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y&R is the rolls royce of soaps.
It is the number one soap in terms of ratings, the soap who has the most expensive budget (so the most important support from a network), it is also known for being the soap with the most character-driven stories (although righ now their writers regime write plot driven stories and are really critized because of it).

They also have a real strong cast who every year win lot's of emmys, they hire lot's of famous prime time actors for some guests (stunts).
Otherwise they have never written with the supercouple formula (well aside Victor/Nikki or Sharon/Nick/Phillis but even them are often paired with other people), they also write lot's of their stories around business empires, lot's of their characters are grey and lawered..Victor Newman the most important and iconic character is a "bad guy" sort of with good qualities..The cast is really big and lot's of soap stars want to work here (because of the character-driven stories, much more interesting for an actor).
So yeah there are some differences between this soap and Dool..but sometimes Dool can be better and sometimes Y&R can be much much worse than Dool ! lol

6:09 AM  
Blogger Anonymous II said...

This is my first time posting but I have been reading your blog for years! Thanks so much for all you do, I can't for the life of me sit thru 1 hour of this so called soap opera. I have been a DOOL watcher for 30+ years until about a year ago when the writing just seemed to get worse and worse. I have to keep up with the characters so I read your blog instead.
I don't watch Y&R so like Leslie I don't know whats happening there but I do know that suave character is Victor Newman. I do watch GH, started over a year ago cause of the hunky men on that show. It's actually pretty good, they even have cliff hangers on Fridays. The sexy blue eyed guy is Jason Morgan and the dweeb is Damien Spinelli, who is a total waste of airtime. Can you imagine they have that nerd paired up with Kirsten Storms who was Belle on DOOL for a while?? They are about to put Kirsten and Jason Cook together which is what I have been waiting for since he came on the show over a year ago!
Thanks again prevuze....you rock!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Applecheeks said...

Prevuze, your grey-haired suave character is Victor Newman. He’s sort of a counterpart to our Victor Kiriakis. Except without our Victor’s gift of snark. But with a much bigger role on the show than our Victor.

At least he used to have. I haven’t watched Y&R for years. I had to cut down to one soap and chose DOOL because other family members watched it. I needed a soap I could diss with others about.

Victor N., by the way, is played by Eric Braeden, neé Hans Gudengast. Those of us who watched TV back in the Dark Ages (i.e., before the zapper) might remember him as the Nazi foil for the Rat Patrol.

Now that my TV History 101 lesson is over for today, let me get back to today’s post……LOLOL

I’m sorry that Prevuze brief hope in the sanity of humanity (sorry for that rhyme) was doused by the revelation that all soaps are dumb. It’s a shame when an innocent is exposed to the dirty truth like that.

But, really? …only those of us who watch DOOL…enjoy a weird video form of self-flagellation.

And you have a problem with this how…? LMAO

Thank goodness we should be back to the regular feed schedule by tomorrow. All this introspection can’t be good for anyone. And, besides, the Brady/Horton 4th of July picnic and speechifying awaits.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Bulldog said...

The cast is really big and lots of soap stars want to work here (because of the character-driven stories)... Anon - I noticed you said "work here" as opposed to "work there". Do you by any chance work there?

I also don't watch any soap but DOOL. But my theory, Prevuze and Prevuzites, is what you witnessed on that first day is the "copycat syndrome". You know, how the first western in the 1950's spawned a couple dozen western TV shows, in the 60's/70's it was doctors and then lawyers. The 80's were rich folk like on Dallas and Dynasty and now it's all crime scene investigators. Well, either DOOL copied from Y&R or the other way around and Y&R Victor is a gambling addict who's a partner with that woman at the table. She's taking pills at night because she left her hubby but wants to blame him so now she has a duel personality and is bonking the heads and robbing the rich men of (fill in the name of their town here). :D

I have one comment about yesterday's episode. When the endless scenes were going on with EJami and she was pant pant panting, my husband (who doesn't watch DOOL but overheard it) asked "Does she have asthma or something?" I laughed so hard I cried. Because as a Safe fan I thought it was ridiculous she was doing that anyway. HAHAHAHA

I enjoyed the idea for a great tennis match and that is one I'd definitely watch!

Have a nice day everyone and thanks for the interesting update, Prevuze.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Prevuze said...

The cast is really big and lots of soap stars want to work here (because of the character-driven stories)... Anon - I noticed you said "work here" as opposed to "work there". Do you by any chance work there?

Better watch it, BD. If you keep picking up on things like that, you'll never work for the Salem Police Department.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Hello there! I have watched YR since the first day it aired. I was away from DOOL for a few years and only lost a bit of the storyline, which says a lot (or not) about the writing. Both shows can be mindless, frustrating and hard to watch ~ but once you are hooked, it's hard to stay away. Thank goodness for taping and fast forward!

It's maddening when characters play stupid roles .. you begin to think they have been type cast and it's their real persona. Like Chloe and Daniel, Nicole, Brady and Ari. Sami is in a category all by herself. Do writers think we are stupid? I hope not ..... it's Soap World after all.

PS ... I am a huge tennis fan so I don't mind the interruption.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Bulldog AS has to tone down the panting/heavy breathing (it is not so sexy dear..) but the Ejami scene was still pretty smockin'..when you have this type of chemistry no need to heavy breathing in order to show viewers that it is hot here... we already see it !

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Bulldog said...

Anon - yes, that's what I was trying to say (and I bungled it), that Alison needed to tone it down because seriously, I was afraid she was going to hyperventilate by doing that! It kinda made me nervous after awhile. :P

10:43 AM  
Blogger Prevuze said...

A reader (blusaphyer) sent me this incredibly comprehensive report on the Young and The Restless. I tried to post it as a comment, but it was too long and Blogger would not accept it. Never one to be held back, I've posted it at the link below. Enjoy:

CLICK HERE.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Betyar said...

"Before I tell you what's on my mind though, you need to know two things:
1) I don't watch any soap operas other than DOOL"...Same here! I don't think I've watched ANY soaps since the 80's...I was busy climbing the corporate ladder. And then a couple of years ago I became unemployed(yay!!!), got out of a FWB relationship, so I was finally "free" and happy as a clam...I could do whatever I wanted with my days!...and now the question was "what do I do with my life??? How do I make a difference to impact the world we live in?" So one day as I sat there contemplating all this, I started channel surfing and caught a scene with James Scott in it, so DOOL became the soap-du-jour for me...Needless to say, things have never been the same...

"2) I'm upgrading the equipment I use for Prevuze."...good for you Prevuze! Time to retire that ole' Video-saurus!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Donna said...

Whewwwww, thank goodness for blusaphyer and the magic little "click here" link. Saved me a lot of typing!

The only thing I would add is that Victor Newman is sort of like Victor Kirikas (sp?) and Stefano rolled into one! Except he hasn't been "dead" quite as many times at Stef has.

blusaphyer also said "If you think this is bad, get the 411 on the Bold and the Beautiful. That's just twisted." Twisted is an excellent word for it IMHO. I won't even get started on that show.

But I have a question for you, Prevuze. You said that you got a Y&R feed. The folks I used to get the day ahead report for Y&R lost their feed. Do you know if your feed is the current day, or a day ahead?

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Kat said...

I haven't watched Y&R since they took it off free to air in my country years ago. It was interesting reading Blusaphyer's review, so many things had happened to the characters since I stopped watching (Victoria and JT had a kid, Kevin has an ex-wife, Kevin's ex-wife is sleeping with his brother (not Michael is it? he of the immortal 'we's kin now' line which is the only piece of dialogue I remember from the show)), but then the last line of the review read, 'Mac is now dating JT'. Mac was dating JT when I stopped watching Y&R (and kevin wasn't happy about it). The more things change, the more they stay the same.

It's funny going back to soaps after an absence. I catch an episode of B&B every now and then, and they last time I watched, Steffy was talking about Hope designing a fashion line. Hope? Brooke's four year old daughter? But then it turned out that Hope, who was only four a few months ago, is now 15. What's funny is that I read that Hope's big brother (who crossed over to Y&R), is now much younger than her since her bout with SORAS. What's funnier is that if this had happened on DOOL, I wouldn't have batted an eye.

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam was only faking to be crazy to get out of a murder charge.

Chloe and the guy are moving toward being together, it's gonna start as a friendship, but it's also complicated by the fact that her fiance is a bodyguard to an attractive woman next door.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama     Globe Of Blogs