Saturday, June 19, 2010

Father Matt's Statement

Father Matt is now in Chicago at a missionary training camp. Prior to his leaving, Chloe requested he hold a marriage ceremony in her hospital room so she and Daniel could be married right away. There have been many comments on Prevuze, much debate and many questions asking whether or not the Catholic Church would sanction such a wedding.

As a public service to its readers, Prevuze contacted Father Matt and asked his opinion on the issue. Here is his response:

"First, let me say I am preoccupied by my activities here in Chicago and must apologize for not clearing this up before I left. I have enjoyed my tenure at St. Luke's but have now decided to move on to what I hope will be a similarly important calling as a missionary for the Catholic Church. So I cannot answer that question exclusively as a parish priest, but must look at this and every issue from the point of view of a missionary.

As a priest I would have looked at the rules, regulations and edicts of the church and would have been compelled to inform you that such a ceremony is strictly forbidden. I would have been bound by the rigid structure of my archdiocese and would have had no choice but to take that stance and strictly abide by it.

As a missionary, however, one learns to take a broader view of things. Not every place in the world is (thank God) like Salem. A missionary must learn to be flexible and more open minded. As a missionary I am not bound by the same rigid rules as a priest. Therefore I would individually have the capability of making the decision on my own to proceed with the ceremony without being subject to the regulations of the church hierarchy.

In other words, it would all be up to me.

In this case, therefore, I am pleased to be able to tell you I would do what Daniel and Chloe have done so many times without the benefit of having their union sanctioned by God and the church, and assume the missionary position."

Well, I certainly hope that clears things up for you. Here at the Prevuze compound, the weather is sunny, the weekend is ahead and we plan to take every advantage of it. I hope you are able to do the same. See you Monday.

NOTE – you can now follow Prevuze on twitter at: http://twitter.com/prevuzea

Prevuze II has a video of the daily show previews, which should be available by noon (EST) on any given day. To see Prevuze II: CLICK HERE


5 Comments:

Anonymous Leslie said...

In this case, therefore, I am pleased to be able to tell you I would do what Daniel and Chloe have done so many times without the benefit of having their union sanctioned by God and the church, and assume the missionary position."

Oh well - better the missionary than the starfish position. No matter what position you choose, I hope Prevuze and all the faithful have a wonderful weekend!!!

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Bulldog said...

I was afraid poor Father Matt was going to say he'd actually gone to Chicago to resign from the priesthood so he wouldn't have to go back to Salem and listen to Chloe whine any more.

Great Simpsons picture! Thanks for the Saturday edition and happy weekend everyone.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Applecheeks said...

Oh heavenly Father, forgive Prevuze for they know not what they do. Well, they KNOW what they do, they just can't help themselves.

...assuming the missionary position

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!

(Pardon me while I clean up the mess on my keyboard.)

OK, it may be sunny where the Prevuze compound resides. But the sacrilege implied in that posting has brought a black cloud over my location. I'm afraid I laughed too loudly, too long.

You all be careful out there as well. Have a good one. LOL

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way Sami and Carrie reacted to seeing each other. It was realistic.

I had a hard time with Sami forgetting that Jennifer is Lucas's sister. They did mention it when they saw each other. It's an odd mistake for Sami to make.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh ignore that last comment and this one. I was on the wrong post/day. duh. sorry.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama     Globe Of Blogs