Saturday, October 03, 2009

The Wichita Wonder

I'll bet you didn't even notice.

"Notice what, Prevuze," asks a voice from nowhere, "What's going on?"

Oh, I didn't realize I was talking to Lucas. Anyway, here at the Prevuze Compound we're celebrating the fact that we went an entire week without a single glitch in getting the blog out. We didn't have a single problem... no blank screens, no Death Star incidents, no funky transmissions and no obscure sporting events preempting precious DOOL.

We're on a roll.

Prevuze

Of course I can't promise a hitting streak like the one Joe Wilhoit had, but we're going to give it our best shot to keep this up.

"Joe Wilhoit," repeats the mysterious voice, "Who the #&!$% is Joe Wilhoit?"

Joe Wilhoit. Don't you know? He's the guy with the longest hitting streak in all of baseball.

"OMG," says Voicey, "Anybody knows that's Joe DiMaggio. He hit in 56 consecutive games for the Yankees in 1941. It's known as the unbreakable record. Prevuze, you just lost your claim to being the Best sports blog on the Internet®."

Au contraire, my little research-challenged grasshopper. I said ALL of baseball. In 1919, Joe "The Wichita Wonder" Wilhoit, playing for the Wichita Witches, had an extraordinary 69-game hitting streak.

Oddly enough, the second longest hitting streak in baseball is in fact held by Joe "The Yankee Clipper" DiMaggio, but it's not what you think. In 1933, he got a hit in 61 consecutive games playing for the San Francisco Seals.

And, of course, Joltin' Joe's shortest hitting streak, as we all know, was with Marilyn Monroe.

"You think you're pretty smart, don't you, Prevuze," asks the voice, "Try this one on for size – Who won the first Indianapolis 500 Mile Race?"

Well, that question is more complex than you think. You have to consider the rules back then vs. the rules now and the fact that race scoring was primitive compared to today's electronic scoring mechanisms and...

"AHA! You're stalling! You don't know. Anyone worth a plug nickel in sports trivia knows Ray Harroun won the first Indianapolis 500."

Really? So you're not giving the great driver Cyrus Patschke any credit for his accomplishment?

"Cyrus Patschke," asks the mysterious voice, "Who the #&!$% is Cyrus Patschke?"

Don't get me started...

Prevuze

"Just one more thing, Prev..."

Yes?

"What does any of this have to do with DOOL?"

Make it a great weekend, everybody.

NOTE – you can now follow Prevuze on twitter at: http://twitter.com/prevuze

Prevuze II has a video of the daily show previews, which should be available by noon (EST) on any given day. To see Prevuze II: CLICK HERE


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PREVUZE: Loved that photo of Meridith and what she did with her little bag of mortar. LOL

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going with Chloe's bra! ROFLMAO
-Cookie_

6:05 AM  
Blogger Applecheeks said...

Both pictures would have had me spitting my latte from here to, well, there if I'd had any in my mouth. So snarky!!

In Meredith's case, maybe it was like the "loaves & fishes" parable. One bag of mortar small enough for her to carry and a coupla' bricks and voila! The Great Wall of China.

Nice little post, but I echo Mysterio, "Who the #&!$% is Cyrus Patschke?" Don't MAKE me look it up on Google on a Saturday!!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Prevuze said...

Nice little post, but I echo Mysterio, "Who the #&!$% is Cyrus Patschke?" Don't MAKE me look it up on Google on a Saturday!!

Uh... that's why I put a link to the Cyrus Patschke story up there in the post, so I guess we'll do it this way... CLICK HERE.

In a nutshell, Cyrus was a relief driver for Harroun in the first race and by today's rules would be considered a co-winner of the first Indy 500.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prevuze... you're hilarious! Thanks for all the good laughs. You are better than a therapist.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Bulldog said...

Aah, Prevuze, but what about the dark side? Who's got the longest losing streak in baseball? Football? Odds are if you start checking facts and figures on the Kansas City Royals and Chiefs you'd probably find your answers right away.

The edition today does sorta involve DOOL. After all Salem does lay claim on three of motorsports greatest stars (Steponme, Max Brady and EJ). And some hot motorcycle racing - and crashes - by Bo and Shawn Brady. And Shawn's boat crashes.

Thanks for the Saturday afternoon pick-me-up!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Leslie said...

I'm incredibly late for the party but I'm so glad I fired up my PC to join in the fun. Meredith found ancient blueprints so Rafe could walk like the Egyptians. Too bad she didn't embalm him like the Egyptians.

Chloe's bra - I wonder if it comes in assorted colors.

Prevuze - the best sports trivia blog on the Internet!

6:55 PM  
Blogger wolf said...

I agree... Chloe's bra "tops" it for me! Lost my coffee on that one. You could turn it over and use it as a jacuzzi for a family of 4!!!
Great job prevuze!!!!!

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama     Globe Of Blogs