Saturday, September 19, 2009

Our Stinkin' Satellite System

Years ago when we purchased the Prevuze Compound the previous owners(when they owned it, it was the Pre-Prevuze Compound) had installed a satellite dish on the perimeter of the property. The Compound is located far enough from a major metro area that OTA TV signals are "iffy" and were more so back then.

The old dish which we "inherited" was made of fiberglass (a.k.a. plastic that weighs a ton). We played around with it and learned how to use it and decided we liked it. And, one of the advantages we got from it was we discovered a day-ahead feed of Days Of Our Lives. Long story short, that led to an early form of Prevuze, which led to this blog, which we began five years ago.

We found the old dish useful, but its weight and small diameter caused problems so we jumped into the "modern" big-diameter mesh dish market and had all new equipment installed. (These dishes, by the way, are sometimes called a BUD – Big Ugly Dish).

That system worked fine for us for a few years and by that time this website was going strong. Then, apparently, one day I said something that offended the realm of Heaven and we were struck by lightning. We had an electronic meltdown that made the Melaswen fiasco look like a small short. That disaster not only zapped all our computers, CD players, DVD players, recorders and whatnot, but it also completely fried the "new" satellite receiver.

I think that time Prevuze was down for at least a week. And, of course, the BUD technology being practically ancient, we could no longer get the receiver we had before, so, thanks to Mr. Insurance Man, we upgraded that to something called 4DTV.

Then a year ago, DOOL went digital and we once again had to upgrade to a converter that would allow us to see the new signals. Again, Prevuze was down for several days while we made the conversion.

Our satellite cable is above ground due to the long distance and rough terrain between the dish and the receiver. So, in the interim, we've had trees fall on the cable and sever it, animals chew through it and various other catastrophes.

In other words, while the Satellite has been useful, it has also been a bigger pain the butt than Maggie Horton when you're trying to keep a secret.

If you've been with us any time at all, you are aware we've dutifully tried to keep the thing in repair to the point there is almost nothing our overpriced repairman Norris can do if anything else goes wrong. A few weeks ago we lost the signal and we had Norris come in and install even more new equipment to increase our signal strength.

By that time I thought our troubles were over. Then, whammo, two days this past week the signal goes down like Kate Roberts on a first date. When that happened, I didn't know what the deal was. I can tell by surfing around that the system is working properly. Other channels come in extremely well, but we just couldn't receive DOOL.

Then on Wednesday morning, like magic, the signal came back looking as good as ever.

So I said all that to say this: these old satellites can be tricky little things. The satellite we scrape the DOOL signal off of is, of course, a Canadian satellite and "points" toward Canada. Each satellite has its own "footprint" and my thinking now is the Prevuze Compound is on the fringe of the "footprint" for the Canadian satellite).

With all the changes, upgrades and repairs we've made to this system it seems to be working well and I just think our troubles this week were caused by conditions which made us unable to receive the signal in a fringe area. I think we're stuck with that problem and from time to time we're just not going to get the signal.

I guess we'll just have to live with it and when the signal fades we can wait it out until we get it back. On occasion, if the signal fades for long enough, I'll try to get hold of the Canadian broadcast and update you somewhat in advance, anyway. But recapping the Canadian Broadcast on a long term basis wouldn't be feasible. It's a lot more work and a bigger pain in the butt than Maggie Horton when you're trying... oh, already used that one.

So to recap all that Lucas Horton-esque wordiness: After all our troubles this week, our satellite system seems to be working well and we just have to face the fact that being on a fringe area there will be some days we don't get the signal. When that happens, bear with us and we'll ride it out together.

Man, I could have saved a lot of typing if I'd have said that in the first place.

Make it a good weekend and we'll see you on Monday, as long as we get a signal.

Prevuze

NOTE – you can now follow Prevuze on twitter at: http://twitter.com/prevuze

Prevuze II has a video of the daily show previews, which should be available by noon (EST) on any given day. To see Prevuze II: CLICK HERE


13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there Prevuze. We couldn't live without you at this point. You're like crack, only legal. I can't believe I've been looking at this site almost daily for 5 years. What a stroll down memory lane....the cable downed by a tree, the constant upgrades you make to Norris' vehicles and vacation spots. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. And, I know you say it's pointless to post if we're not getting an actual "Prevue" the day ahead, but honestly, I can take 'day of' snark anytime as well. Thank you so much (say it with me) for being there for all of us fans.
-Cookie-

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you Prevuze! I share my morning coffe with you 5-6 days a week (depends on when I get up on a Saturday...) I also learned quickly to swallow before continuing to read!

Sure, it's annoying when the feed is down, but if I had to pick one to stay online, I'd pick you over Facebook any day!

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Bulldog said...

OMG. I was getting as panicked as a patient seeing Lexie coming at them with a hypo thinking you were going to end Prevuze or something. Don't do that to a person before they've even had their first sip of caffeine!!

Maybe we could find out who controls all that confounded satellite stuff and reposition it so that Prevuze gets the best signal. That's the ticket! If paternity tests can be changed via the hospital computers and Rafe can look up a person's every movement on his laptop then we should be able to do something about this. I'm going to get right on it...after my coffee.

Thanks for all you do to bring us our daily DOOL nonsense. And I agree with Cookie - even if it wasn't a day ahead of time we'd still need a Prevuze.

Happy Saturday!

7:02 AM  
Anonymous chaya said...

Let me echo what all the others said - when I started to read today's post all I could think was oh no, a life without Prevuze. A fate worse than death when you live in a place with perfect weather. I might have to go outside.

Living with a few down days is way better than living without Prevuze.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Applecheeks said...

I don't believe that the lightening strike was the result of divine intervention, but the work of (dare I say it) the Dimeras! Or maybe the Kiriakis clan.

Whoever (or whatever) was behind the sneak attack on the Prevuze compound was most certainly inspired by evil forces bent on forcing us to watch DOOL without the intervention of Prevuze to keep us sane.

I love waking up and know that everyday (and sometimes on weekends) there is some snark to get be jump started on the day!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Prevuze said...

Hmmm... didn't mean to cause a stir. Just thought you guys would like to know where we stand with our state of the art satellite technology (state of the art for 1985, that is).

BTW, I forgot to log in before I posted this, so my word verification was "kinkers." 'Nuff said.

Prevuze - Best word verification blog on the Internet®

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First Lucas and now Rafe: Why does Sami always fall for the dumb ones??? I had higher hopes for EJ and then he married Nicole. (d'oh!)

Loved the picture Bulldog, though I suspect the nuns could move across town and Rafe would never find them.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Betyar said...

Hey, stop dissin' Rafe! As far as I'm concerned all 3 of them(Lucas, Rafe, & EJ) can be classified as "IQ challenged" (for lack of better words)... just for wanting to date Sami!

Thanks Prevuze for your continued efforts to amuze us with your daily recaps! There's nothing like a good strong cup of coffe and a snarky edition of Prevuze to make my mornings more bearable....and thanks to Daze for providing this drivel, which we all all hooked on to at this point!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Gerri said...

Speaking for myself, I like to watch the show and then read your blog. I've even gone back and read past blogs because you're so hysterical. Actually, truth be told, I enjoy your blog more than watching the show. So whenever you post, I will be around to read it. And thank you so much for posting it. You have a wonderful sense of humor!!!

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Berg said...

Well Berg is off traveling but likes to occasionally stop by an internet cafe and read up on Prevuzes. Thankfully per usual I have missed nothing on DOOL but am always entertained by Prevuze. Keep up the great work! I know Norris appreciates it.

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about some pictures of your compound? :) and the infamous sattelite dish equipment.:)

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you , Thank you for all you do on a daily basis to help feed My spoiler addiction.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Leslie said...

Oh my I'm logging in late Sunday. In the Chicago, it's a wonderful truly a wonderful day. What do you know? The monsters returned to the Midway defeating the world champion Steelers on the lake front! Wait - I believe this installment of Prevuze is about satillite feeds. Sorry. Anyway, I don't drink coffee so I use Prevuze to kick start my heart in the AM. During the week, I crawl into the office, fire up the PC, get rid of all the nonsense e-mails, and then move onto the good stuff - Prevuze. I thank the satillite gods everytime I see a new installment. Since she has disappeared from sight, I hope that Sr. Teresa is spending her spare time praying for Prevuze and thanking the heavens that the faithful can sleep well at night knowing that a snarky recap of Daze will greet them in the morning. I know I do.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama     Globe Of Blogs