Friday, January 01, 2010

The Late But Destructive Arrival Of Y2K

Remember Y2K? Exactly ten years ago today all of our electronic gadgets were set to roll from 1999 to 2000 and some predicted all hell would break loose. Survivalists had a field day. According to them, the world as we knew it would come to an end. Nobody really believed the dire predictions but just as a precaution we dug a moat around the Prevuze compound, installed electric fences, placed machine gun turrets at critical locations and stocked up on enough dried food that we still have it for breakfast every morning. Just as a precaution, mind you.

So clocks rolled over and as I recall — correct me if I'm wrong on this — the world did not end. If the world did end... I just flat out missed it.

Fast forward to last night. Clocks rolled over from 2009 to 2010. There were no dire warnings. No survivalists came out of the woodwork. And here at the Prevuze Compound, we partied like it was 1999 all over again.

When I awoke this morning. OK... when I regained consciousness this morning, I stumbled around the people passed out on the floors, couches, banisters and that one guy on the chandelier, and made my way over to Prevuze Command Central to write the blog. Much to my horror, the video was (cue 'Jaws' music)...

BLANK!

Taking a cue from Sami, I immediately panicked and ran to check all the settings on the Sat-o-saurus, that cobbled together contraption that allows me to record these feeds.

The culprit, it seems, was our newest piece of equipment, the codec (Ooooo... I just love it when I talk technical) that translates the digital signal to analog so I can record it. This is the unit we installed when the show went digital a year and a half ago. It seems Mr. Codec got confused when the year changed last night and gave up the ghost. In other words, we've had a Y2K event, just ten years too late.

So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. What a bummer of a way to start the year. I've got Mr. Codec reset and it seems to understand the date and time. I'll keep it on double-secret probation and watch it closely to make sure it continues to function properly.

In the meantime, I Hope you all have a great New Year's Day and we'll see you bright and early Monday for another thrilling DOOL episode.

Hmmm... or maybe the world is going to end after all. I'd better check those machine gun turrets...


NOTE – you can now follow Prevuze on twitter at: http://twitter.com/prevuze

Prevuze II has a video of the daily show previews, which should be available by noon (EST) on any given day. To see Prevuze II: CLICK HERE


11 Comments:

Blogger Jessi said...

oh no!!!!!!! i was looking forward to the first dool episode in 2010. darn. now we gotta wait til monday. Happy 2010 prevuze!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Applecheeks said...

Pook! On the other hand, a Prevuze story is usually more entertaining than the show.

Let me guess...was Norris the body hanging from the chandelier? That guy really knows how to party, doesn't he?

We applaud your attempt, Prevuze. Happy New Year!

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Leslie said...

Well at least you can pass out bowls of cereal to all of your hung over guests.

Happy New Year to Prevuze and all the equally hung over Prevuzites!

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the direct deposit for my hubby's payroll didn't work either. He took the 31st off to enjoy a 4 day weekend with his family, only to find if he wanted his check, he'd have to go to work and get it.

Maybe it's a y2010 bug....

Hope you have a nice weekend and the rest of the year goes much better! :)

7:22 AM  
Blogger Prevuze said...

Let me guess...was Norris the body hanging from the chandelier? That guy really knows how to party, doesn't he?

Originally, I couldn't find Norris, but it turned out I just wasn't looking in the right place: CLICK HERE

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Bulldog said...

I didn't even party last night so I have no excuse for not even expecting a Prevuze update anyway - since it's SUNDAY. Or so I thought! HAHAHA I only checked to see if there were any late comments on yesterday's. So obviously mechanical equipment isn't the only thing fouled up. Hurry up and get done brewing, coffee!

They keep assuring us where I work that putting '0' down for the new year isn't going to override records from the year 2000 but I don't believe them. Especially now because of the Prevuze crisis.

Oh well, I don't give a hoot about the records but I won't be able to function very long without Prevuze. Glad you found the problem and don't forget the hockey game today. Happy New Year! :D

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Bulldog said...

PS: Love the Hope picture. As usual I had to LOL!

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Berg said...

Maybe it's fate - my stomach is quite iffy and my head feels like it wants to explode so I am teeter tottering - an episode of DOOL may have pushed me over the New Years edge.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Jana (shelle_cr) said...

Hmm, codec. That'a word for hangover I haven't heard yet :)

Happy new year and enjoy your weekend.

LOL at the Ciara comment.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous OMGILoveYou said...

Speaking of things happening too late, here's my contribution for yesterday's quote of the day:
Justin: Exactly what kind of papers are we looking for?
Hope: Documents of some sort.

You just can't make up something that good.

Anyway, happy Y2.01K, which is about the same size now as my 401(k).

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Lori said...

Great comments all. I can tell even bleary-eyed you are all funnier than most comedy shows.

However, what will I do? I simply must know if Philanie make it to Vegas or if they are stopped by the evil villain... Nathan.

I'll set my alarm for early Monday morning (looking forward to that).

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama     Globe Of Blogs