Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Machine Won

Pan from Claire's medical record to her monitor.

Sami asks Austin if he thinks he even has a chance with Carrie.

"It's none of your business," says Austin.

Carrie's phone rings.

Lucas asks, "We're still on for tonight?"

"I've got it in my date book," says Carrie.

"I know we used to be close," says Lucas, "And I hope it can be that way again."

Carrie wrinkles her brow, "Are you thinking of this as a date date?"

"Naw," says Lucas, "I'm just flying across the country to eat at some cheesy LA restaurant."

Shawn is getting coffee. Hope comes in with Zach. She tells Shawn she has brought him in for his checkup. Shawn asks if he is there for blood work and needles. Hope tells him to shut up, but Zach says Shawn is just teasing. Shawn and Zach wrestle as Hope wanders off. Shawn goes over to her and asks if she's OK.

"Just thinking about Jennifer," says Hope, "How is Claire?"

"They did a blood transfusion," says Shawn, "But there is no change. It's scary."

"This could have been your baby, Shawn."

Kate stands in back of them. She thinks, "It is your baby, Shawn. You can never know that. Since her mother is permanently unglued, Claire is the glue that is holding their marriage together."

Belle prays in the chapel. Phillip comforts her, "We can't give up. We have to keep the faith."

John pounds the phone. Marlena and Alex come up. John asks, "Why did you come back?"

"Why wouldn't I come back," asks Marlena, "Belle is my daughter."

"Yeah," he says, "I hate to tell you, the transfusions didn't work, Doc."

Alex butts in, "I'd appreciate it if you didn't call her that. It's a term of endearment and I find it inappropriate."

John finds the fact that Alex is alive to be inappropriate, "I'm not the only one who calls her Doc." He turns to Marlena, "Does it upset you?"

Marlena says, "I am married to Alex, and if it upsets him..."

John agrees, "OK."

Marlena continues, "It might help you move on if you don't call me that."

"So there is no hope for us," asks John, "Do you think you might regain your memory sometime and realize I am the man you love?"

Austin says, "This is all I will say. Carrie still means a lot to me."

"You understand she loves Mike," says Sami.

"I can't just turn off my feelings," says Austin, "I'm not gonna try to split them up."

Lucas asks Carrie if she would change her mind if he said it was a date. Carrie says she isn't ready for something serious. Lucas says he doesn't want to get his heart broken again either. Becky comes in and asks Carrie about her plans.

Sami says, "I hate thinking of you pining away for Carrie. You need someone who appreciates you. There are a lot of available women."

"I am not looking for someone," says Austin.

"What if someone finds you," asks Sami.

"It's a no-go as long as I still feel this way about Carrie," says Austin.

Lucas comes up and asks for a word with Austin. Sami argues, but then goes off. "I've got a surprise for you," says Lucas.

Marlena tells John, "Doc was your wife and lover. But that isn't me."

"Knock it off," snorts John, "You have been 'Doc' for years."

"Those years are gone," says Marlena, "I am married to Alex."

"What do you think you owe me and my daughter," asks John.

"My main concern has to be Alex," says Marlena, "We will be going away together."

"Where," asks John.

"I don't know."

John says, "You sure make a lot of decisions for someone who has no memory. What happens when it comes back and you want to be with me?"

"I'll still be married to Alex," says Marlena, "I don't want to hurt you. I would never have married you if Alex hadn't disappeared."

Sami runs up. "Oh, Mom! Hi! What's going on?"

Marlena isn't exactly thrilled to see Sami, "I think you should hear this from me. John and I are separating."

"That's wonderful," smiles Sami, "I knew you never loved him. So you're getting back together with Daddy?"

"No," says Marlena, "I am already married to Alex."

Sami's smile melts, "What? No! No way!"

Alex tells Sami the story. Sami tells Marlena she doesn't belong with Alex. She should be with Roman (#3).

Marlena says she will honor her marriage vows. Sami says Roman won't accept this. Marlena excuses herself to go find Belle. Sami shrugs her shoulders at John. John walks off. Sami thinks, "I have to concentrate on myself... That shouldn't be hard for Sami to do. "...By making sure that I end up with Austin. Thank God Carrie is married – halfway around the world."

Lucas tells Austin not to underestimate him.

"That's it," says Austin, "That's what you wanted to tell me – not to underestimate you?"

"You did in the past," says Lucas, "With the Clear Visage account. That's how I was able to steal it from you."

Austin asks, "Why am I getting the feeling you are talking about something other than business?"

"I'm putting you on notice," says Lucas, "I'm staying one step ahead of you."

John comes into the chapel, "Hang in there, [D]Izzy."

"I feel like our family is cursed," whines Belle, "First you lose Mom, and now I could lose my little baby." Marlena watches.

Q: IS SALEM LOCATED ANYWHERE NEAR NIAGARA FALLS?

A: NO, BUT BELLE BLACK KIRIAKIS LIVES HERE.

"Belle," says Marlena. Hugs. "What can I do?"

"Your being here helps," blubbers Belle.

"Of course I'm here," says Marlena, "I thought I'd come and light a candle and say a prayer."

Alex stands in the doorway. John asks him, "Got a minute?" They step out into the hall. John continues, "I did a little more research on you. Your story checks out. You can't blame me for having my doubts."

Alex says, "I hope this means you are accepting the fact I am Marlena's husband."

"Yeah," grumbles John, "And I am counting on you not to take advantage of that fact. So I'd like your word you won't be intimate with her. I'm asking you not to sleep with her until she gets her memory back."

Lucas tells Kate he found out someone else is interested in the same woman he is. "It's like business," advises Kate, "You just have to close the deal."

Sami seethes, "Why am I worried about Carrie? She's a million miles away. Maybe with my luck I should check on that." She pulls out her address book and calls.

Carrie answers. Sami says, "Surprise, Carrie! How are you?"

"Sami? Why are you calling," asks Carrie.

"Where are you," asks Sami, "You sound so close. I guess you've heard about my latest wedding day fiasco."

Carrie says, "I wanted to be there but things have been hectic. How is the baby?"

Sami asks, "How do you know about that?"

"Dad told me," she lies.

Sami says, "She isn't any better."

"How can I help," asks Carrie.

"From Israel," asks Sami, "You can't."

"Do you think I should come home?"

"No," says Sami, "I think we can manage without you."

"Tell Belle I'm thinking of her.," says Carrie.

"OK," says Sami, "If you won't do it yourself. How are you doing? How are Mike and Jeremy?"

"They are fine," says Carrie, "But I am busy here. I heard you are working with Nicole and Austin."

"Where do you get this stuff," asks Sami, "You don't have to gossip about me you can call me any time."

Well, we're talking, so fill me in," says Carrie.

Sami tells a whopper, "Austin's company is doing well." She adds, "Austin and Nicole are living with me."

"I heard."

"Who are your sources," says Sami, "They're good. Nicole is kind of the third wheel. Austin and I work very well together."

Carrie asks, "Does he ever mention me?"

"No," lies Sami, "He doesn't bring you up at all. He has forgotten all about you." Carrie purses her lips.

Shawn tells Hope he's been spending a lot of time with Claire lately, "It's putting things in perspective. That motorcycle stuff and all must have been hard on you and Dad and, of course, the people I landed on. I'm sorry for putting you though that. I think I'm ready to settle down, get married and raise a family."

"I'm glad you're thinking about these things," says Hope, "Just because Belle and Phillip started a family doesn't mean you have to rush..."

"Mimi and I are great together and things are getting serious," says Shawn, "I'm thinking we'll adopt."

"You have grown up a lot, Shawn," says Hope, "You don't know what it does to a mother to know she's raised a wonderful thoughtful young man, even if he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. We're really proud of you. Now, if you could just go back to college... raising kids costs money. I just want the best for you and for you to be happy. I love you so much Shawn." Ditto.

"You're serious," asks Alex.

"Don't act so surprised," says John, "You made damn sure I wouldn't be with her."

"I want her to remember her past," says Alex.

John turns up the heat, "You were married a long time ago and we were married a lot longer. Don't you tell me..."

Marlena breaks it up. Alex goes for coffee. "This has to stop says Marlena. I'm married to him. If you can't accept that..."

"I know in my heart we belong together," says John, "One day you will remember. Then what?" He storms off. Marlena stares.

"So you think I should pursue this woman," asks Lucas.

"If you love her," says Kate.

"It's a little early for love."

Kate says, "Grind your competition into the dirt." Lucas leaves. Austin comes up.

Lucas thinks, "Thanks for the pep talk. I can't wait to see the look on your face when you find out my rival is one of your other sons."

Sami tells Carrie there may be wedding bells in Austin's future. She won't say who the woman is, though.

Carrie has had it, "Sami, as great as this has been I really have to go."

"Me too," says Sami. She turns from the phone and says, "Oh, yeah Austin." Back to the phone, "I'm sorry. Austin needs me."

Carrie lets out a grunt.

Kate tells Austin she's glad he's back in Salem. He tells her he will be giving Lucas and Victor a run for their money. He won't tell her which company he's going after, though, "You're the competition too."

Kate says, "I can't believe you're living with those two vipers."

"Don't worry about me," says Austin, "I'm not interested. There is someone else."

"Really," asks Kate, "Who?"

John goes a couple rounds with the soft drink machine. Marlena rushes up and tends to his smashed hand. "You've got me taking out my frustration on the damn machine," says John.

"The machine won."

"I just want to be able to protect Belle," says John, "Just like I used to be able to protect you."

Belle stares into Claire's crib, "OMG!"

Carrie signs a paper and hands it to Becky, "I can't forget about Austin."

"Carrie," she says, "Why don't you just go for it?"

Lucas walks in and listens, "What would I say," asks Carrie, "Hi Austin. I haven't gotten over you. I still love you after all these years."

"There is only one way for you to find out," says Becky, "Pick up the phone and call Austin."

Lucas interrupts. Becky tells Carrie they can finish this later. Carrie stands, looks at Lucas and stutters, "Something... wrong?"

Kate pesters Austin to let her know who the mystery woman is.

"All I can tell you," says Austin, "is you would approve."

"Well that means it's not Nicole or Sami," says Kate, "I will give you the same advice I gave Lucas. Go for it."

"Lucas is interested in someone," asks Austin, "Good for him. The woman I have in mind is thousands of miles away and involved with someone else. I will go see her and if she is unhappy in her relationship I will reveal my feelings for her."

"This makes me think you've known her for some time," says Kate, "I'd suggest making your move right now or you could lose her." Sami listens.

Hope brings Zach back. He has a clean bill of health. "If anything happened to either one of you I couldn't stand it," says Hope.

Marlena bandages John's crumpled hand. John says, "You've taken care of me a lot over the years. I wish we could always be close like this."

Marlena says, "Don't read too much into this, John. I'm just here for Belle and the baby."

"What are we going to do," bawls Belle, "She needs a machine to breathe." The nurse tells them Claire is still very sick. They have sent in more blood work. Belle breaks down. That is, if you can break down from already being broken down.

John tells Marlena he's not a quitter. "You can't decide what's right for me," she says, "I am married to Alex." Alex comes up and they both leave.

Shawn and Zach play. He promises Hope there will be no more Evil Knievel stunts. Hope runs to their side of the table. Hugs.

Jennifer the nurse says Claire's blood test results weren't what they were hoping for. Phillip says, "She can feel our love if we hang-tough. So that's what we will do." Belle promises to whine-tough.

Kate watches and says it breaks her heart to see them like this.

Sami suggests she and Austin get back to work. Austin agrees. They leave. Kate sighs, "Sami, Sami it's always Sami. I just pray this works out for Austin, whoever it is."

Lucas helps Carrie on with her wrap, "Now you, my beautiful friend, are in for a night you will never forget." FF Carrie.


Previews
========


Sami asks, "Power and money?" Nicole says, "I thought that's what you wanted." Sami says, "Of course I do. Who doesn't?" Nicole says, "OK, then stay out of my way and let me do what I do best."

Kate sits at a computer terminal and says, "It's a very dangerous thing I'm doing." A security guard opens the door and asks, "What are you doing in here, ma'am?"

Carrie says, "I feel bad about leaving Salem. I just felt it would be easier starting someplace new."

Frankie asks Jennifer, "Are you saying it's time for me to go?" Jennifer says, "I think it's time for all of us to move on."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many mothers would continually bring up the fact that some former girlfriend's baby COULD have been her son's "if only"? We get it, writers. Irony. Move on!!!

And excuse me? Was Lucas talking on the phone to Kate or was he talking in person and then managed to get to LA in about 60 seconds??

Speaking of phones....how was Sami able to phone Carrie using an old number in her address book? Wouldn't that have been a long distance call to Israel? Wouldn't Sami have noticed if it was a USA call (and if it was to Carrie's office, how did she get that number)? Was Sami calling Carrie's cell phone?

Why do I let logic (or lack thereof) bug me about this show????

HAHAHAHAHA

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell me Kate's not changing the blood-type information! Do you know how dangerous that is to get a transfusion with the wrong blood type?

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogarama     Globe Of Blogs